History: Founded 1972. One of 1,200 Community Health Centers (CHC) (7,000 sites, 22 million patients)
Mission: Crusader Community Health serves the Rock River Valley area with quality primary health care for all people in need.
Funding: $44mm budget (only 16% federal grant assisted funds); 346 employees (81 healthcare providers – MD, DO, DDS, PA, NP, DPM, LCSW, RDH; All physicians are board certified or board eligible)
- Patients surveyed in 2019 rated the overall quality of care received at Crusader Community Health as a 4.6 on a 5 point scale.
- Accredited by the Joint Commission seven times since 1999.
- Certified as a Primary Care Medical Home in 2014 and 2017 by the Joint Commission.
- Family practice, pediatrics, women’s health services with OB (and a midwife program), internal medicine, dentistry
- Specialty – endocrinology (diabetes), HIV program, homeless program, behavioral health, neurology, optical, pain management and podiatry
- Referrals available to off site specialists
- Not-for-profit pharmacy system for Crusader patients; generic discount program for uninsured patients
- The top primary diagnostic categories are hypertension, diabetes, depression & mood disorders and asthma.
- Diagnostic testing/screenings (immunizations, well-child visits, pap tests, seasonal flu vaccine…)
- School-based preventive dental exams started during 2011, with follow-up restorative dental care at Crusader
Key Service Advantages
- School-based Health Centers at Auburn High School, Rockford, IL; South Beloit Junior High School and Senior High School, South Beloit, IL.
- Same day/next day appointment system; improved call center telephone access.
- Sliding-fee scale for uninsured.
- ALL patients are assigned a primary care provider (PCP).
- ESL Classes (English as a Second Language) are held at the Broadway location. Baby Basics classes are held at Broadway, West State Street and Loves Park locations.
- Integrated ‘one-stop-shopping’ for quality medical, dental and other specialty care, complimented by health education, lab and pharmacy services.
- Implemented system-wide electronic medical and dental records to enhance quality care and safety.
- Adult chronic disease expertise, with special focus on diabetes, asthma, COPD, hypertension and prevention; provided at the Cosmopolitan Patient Learning & Resource Center.
- Domestic violence response team is always available to help patients in need.
- On-site Spanish interpreters (En las instalaciones de intérpretes españoles)
- Behavioral health and addiction counseling
- CrusaderNOW!℠ Walk-In Clinic. No Appointment Needed. Two locations: Crusader on Broadway and Crusader on Alpine
- Injects millions into local economy (vs. more expensive ER visits)
- Improved use of public dollars
- Reduced community cost of sickness
- Crusader is our community’s healthcare “safety net”
- 58,000+ patients served annually
- 40% of area uninsured come to Crusader
- 68% Medicaid (mostly moms & children), 13% uninsured, 6% Medicare, 13% private insurance
- 44% are children 19 & under (23,200+ children)
- 31% Caucasian, 29% African American, 31% Hispanic
- 1,100+ babies delivered annually by Crusader, representing 25% of all Winnebago County births