History: Founded 1972. One of 1,200 Community Health Centers (CHC) (7,000 sites, 22 million patients)
Mission: Crusader Community Health serves the Rock River Valley area with quality primary health care for all people in need.
Locations: Eight total;
4 locations in Rockford, IL
Auburn High School
Loves Park, IL
South Beloit, IL (Junior High School and Senior High School)
Funding: $44mm budget (only 16% federal grant assisted funds); 346 employees (81 healthcare providers – MD, DO, DDS, PA, NP, DPM, LCSW, LCPC, RDH; All physicians are board certified or board eligible)
- Patients recently surveyed rated the overall quality of care received at Crusader Community Health as a 4.6 on a 5 point scale.
- Accredited by the Joint Commission seven times since 1999.
- Certified as a Primary Care Medical Home since 2014 by the Joint Commission.
- Family practice, pediatrics, women’s health services with OB/GYN (and a midwife program), internal medicine, dentistry, behavioral health
- Specialty – endocrinology (diabetes), Living with HIV program, healthcare for the homeless program, and podiatry
- Referrals available to off site specialists
- Affordable and accessible pharmacy system that includes a generic discount program for uninsured patients
- The top primary diagnostic categories are hypertension, diabetes, depression & mood disorders and asthma.
- Diagnostic testing/screenings (immunizations, well-child visits, pap tests, seasonal flu vaccine…)
Key Service Advantages
- School-based Health Centers at Auburn High School, Rockford, IL; South Beloit Junior High School and Senior High School, South Beloit, IL.
- Sliding-fee scale for uninsured.
- Patients are assigned a primary care provider (PCP).
- ESL Classes (English as a Second Language) are held at the Broadway location. Baby Basics classes are held at Broadway, West State Street and Loves Park locations.
- System-wide electronic medical and dental records to enhance quality care and safety.
- Adult chronic disease expertise, with special focus on diabetes, asthma, COPD, hypertension and prevention.
- Interpersonal violence response team is always available to help patients in need.
- On-site Spanish interpreters (En las instalaciones de intérpretes españoles)
- Behavioral health and substance use disorder counseling
- CrusaderNOW!℠ Walk-In Clinic. No Appointment Needed. Three locations: Crusader on Broadway, Crusader on West State Street and Crusader on Alpine
- Injects millions into local economy
- Improved use of public dollars
- Reduced community cost of sickness
- Crusader is our community’s healthcare primary care safety net
- 59,000+ patients served annually
- 44% are children 19 & under (23,200+ children)
- 31% Caucasian, 29% African American, 31% Hispanic
- 1,100+ babies delivered annually by Crusader, representing 25% of all Winnebago County births